Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Cool audio news, and a return to the Night Bazaar

Good news about the release of The Whitefire Crossing and The Tainted City as audiobooks - they're both coming quite soon!  The Tainted City is scheduled to release via Audible on Oct 2, the same date as its release in print and e-book; and The Whitefire Crossing will release within the next month or two (exact date TBD).  Yesterday I spent two hours on Skype talking with Andy Caploe, who'll be narrating both books.  We discussed character traits and went over pronunciations of names/places/etc - heh, which meant in some cases I had to actually decide on pronunciations.  I'm a visual reader/writer, not an aural one, so sometimes I find myself ambivalent over one pronunciation vs. another for a minor character's name, or a city that's mentioned in passing.  Also, you know that "cast your own novel as a movie" game that some authors like to play?  Turns out there's a good use for it - audio narrators love to know that kind of stuff.  (Sadly, I'd never cast my characters in my head, so I wasn't able to help Andy out in that way.)

Anyway, Andy plans to start recording Whitefire this Wednesday.  I can't wait to hear his narration - I think he'll do a terrific job!  (Andy has done several of David Brin's novels for Audible, and is finishing up recording Sharon Lee & Steve Miller's Liaden books before he tackles Whitefire, so he's no stranger to SFF.) 

In other cool audio news, the German audio rights to the books also sold, so at some point I'll get to practice my German by listening to my own novel.  A thought to which my only response is a Keanu Reeves-style "Whoa."  

And last but not least, today marks my return to The Night Bazaar, the group author blog I organized last year with a bunch of other debut authors.  (Night Shade took over the blog in 2012 and it's been going strong all this year, with a new group of folks posting each publication season.  Since The Tainted City's releasing in October, I'm joining in for the fall season (Aug-Nov) - I'll be posting there every Monday, so come stop by and say hello! 





No comments:

Post a Comment